Medical marijuana use is on the rise, with the number of patients in California topping 1.5 million in 2017. A growing number of these users are chronic pain sufferers or have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder.
Why is this, you ask? Well, the cannabis plant’s Cannabidiol (CBD) compound is a natural mood enhancer and pain reliever. With a Doctor’s recommendation, these health conditions can be treated in a safe and effective way using medical marijuana.
What is Cannabidiol (CBD)?
One of the main constituents of the cannabis plant, Cannabidiol is non-psychoactive and non-toxic. CBD boasts significant health benefits, explaining why it is so commonly used to treat a lengthy list of conditions. They include anxiety, pain, appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, chemotherapy-related symptoms, neurodegenerative disorders, neuroinflammation, epilepsy and schizophrenia.
Studies Prove the Efficacy of Cannabis for Anxiety and Pain
Scientific studies on CBD are ongoing, but the proof is already there. According to a study published in the journal of Neuropsychopharmacology back in 2011, CBD helped to reduce social anxiety disorder in patients who were prescribed the plant extract in oil form.
Half were provided with a placebo and the others with a dose of CBD. The results revealed how the patients who were treated with cannabis experienced a major reduction in anxiety levels.
When it comes to treating pain with CBD, the results are equally as impressive. A review of clinical data on the side effects of the cannabis compound showed how CBD worked well to reduce pain and joint swelling.
Finding a High-CBD Cannabis Strain to Relieve Anxiety and Pain
Cross-cultivation techniques and higher global cannabis production levels are contributing to the never-ending selection of cannabis strains available at medical marijuana dispensaries, many of which can treat anxiety and pain. Let’s take a look at some of the options for improving your mental state:
- Harlequin- This is a 75% sativa-dominant hybrid with a 5:2 CBD to THC ratio. Users may feel a heightened sense of clarity after consumption.
- Harle-Tsu – Most people who use this strain will feel less stressed, happy and uplifted after using this cannabis strain. Its CBD content is 20 times more than its THC content.
- ACDC – You will be able to function as normal after using this strain, which has one the highest CBD levels around. An effective anxiety-buster, the sativa-dominant strain will also produce feelings of relaxation.
- Jack Herer – A daytime sativa with an energizing effect, Jack Herer is commonly used for treating low-grade stress, depression and anxiety.
- Sour Tsunami – With intense CBD levels of 10-11%, this strain is a sure-fire anxiety killer. The medicinal strain can also be used to relieve pain caused by health conditions like arthritis.
- AK-47 – Enjoy a cerebral buzz from this high-CBD strain, which can also relieve insomnia. The high-CBD strain is a mix of Afghani, Mexican, Thai and Colombian cannabis.
- Canna-Tsu – Last but not least, we have Canna-Tsu. A blend of Sour Tsunami and Cannatonic, the 1:1 strain is an anti-inflammatory with minimal psychoactivity. It is a mental enhancer and relaxant.
Deciding How to Consume Medical Marijuana
Once you have chosen a strain, you should think about your preferred method of consumption. For swift relief from your ailments, try dabbing – a method that works powerfully within minutes. Alternatively, you may consider capsules, sprays, ingestible oils and edibles. Always remember to find a trustworthy and licensed medical marijuana dispensary to ensure the buds were cultivated to the highest quality.