Calling all yogis! Have you ever thought about including cannabidiol in your yoga practice?
Better known as CBD, cannabidiol is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that could enhance the invigorating effects of yoga. Whether you introduce CBD into your life in oil form, topically or by using a tincture, one thing is for certain: this healing cannabinoid possesses soothing effects that could deepen your mind-body-spirit connection.
CBD is a Natural Mood Regulator
Yoga is proven to have a positive effect on mood disorders and stress reduction1. Add some CBD to the mix and you could be floating on cloud nine each time you hit the mat! Cannabinoids like CBD can help regulate the endocannabinoid system and produce antidepressant effects2. What’s more, CBD could promote better focus and enhance mental clarity, which are two vital ingredients for a successful yoga session.
CBD May Reduce Inflammation
Although yoga can do wonders for the body, your muscles may become inflamed if you are pushing to hold poses for long periods of time. Thankfully, CBD oil boasts natural properties that can relieve muscle spasms and inflammation3. Use it regularly to amplify your ability on the mat.
CBD Could Promote Feelings of Calm
Yoga has the potential to raise the body’s natural level of antioxidants4, and guess what? So does cannabis. The green plant’s medicinal compound, CBD, provides neuroprotective qualities similar to prescription antidepressants that could instill a feeling of calm5. In Sanskrit, the word “yoga” means to be completely at peace in yourself. By using CBD before/during/after sessions, this can be accomplished with greater ease.
CBD is an Analgesic
The less pain you feel, the deeper and more safely you will be able to go into yoga poses, like the Eka Hasta Vrksasana (One Handed Tree Pose) and Gandha Bherundasana (Formidable Face Pose). Since CBD is a potent analgesic, it can relieve acute and chronic pain. It exerts its analgesic effect by interacting with the endocannabinoid receptors located throughout your body3. As a result of ingesting CBD oil, your body will respond better to each practice.
CBD Enhances Sleep Quality
Your immune system will thank you for a good night’s sleep. What’s more, an undisturbed rest will add zest to yoga practices and clear the mind. Preliminary research shows that CBD may hold therapeutic potential for the treatment of insomnia, making it a valuable addition to the life of anyone who wants to improve sleep quality and master a deeper level of awareness6.
- Woodyard. Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life. Int J Yoga 201;4(2):49–54. DOI: 10.4103/0973-6131.85485.
- Campos et al. Plastic and Neuroprotective Mechanisms Involved in the Therapeutic Effects of Cannabidiol in Psychiatric Disorders. Front Pharmacol 2017;8:269. DOI:10.3389/fphar.2017.00269.
- Manzanares et al. Role of the Cannabinoid System in Pain Control and Therapeutic Implications for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain Episodes. Curr Neuropharmacol 2006;4(3):239–257.
- Lim and Cheong. Regular Yoga Practice Improves Antioxidant Status, Immune Function, and Stress Hormone Releases in Young Healthy People: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Pilot Study.J Altern Complement Med 2015;21(9):530-8. DOI:10.1089/acm.2014.0044.
- Pazos et al. Mechanisms of cannabidiol neuroprotection in hypoxic-ischemic newborn pigs: role of 5HT(1A) and CB2 receptors.Neuropharmacology 2013;71:282-91. DOI:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2013.03.027.
- Babson et al. Cannabis, Cannabinoids, and Sleep: a Review of the Literature.Curr Psychiatry Rep 2017;19(4):23. DOI: 10.1007/s11920-017-0775-9.