Until recently, many cannabis connoisseurs preferred products with high THC. Now recreational and medical users alike are starting to understand the therapeutic benefits of chemovars with 1:1 ratios of THC and CBD.
The discovery of the entourage effect has illustrated that cannabinoids combine synergistically to maximize the medicinal efficacy of the plant. These compounds are often much more effective than isolates on their own. Many patients enjoy strains with this ratio because they can get the medicine that is unique to THC along with CBD which is often favored by patients because it lacks psychoactive properties.
These chemovars are often labeled high-CBD strains because they contain higher amounts of CBD than typical chemovars with THC do. 1:1 ratios are commonly used to treat spasticity, pain relief, fibromyalgia, anxiety, appetite stimulation, nausea, and insomnia. Research shows that chemovars including CBD may even inhibit cancer and tumor growths in the body.1 For those with multiple symptoms and diseases, this ratiomay help the most while causing less impairment.
Chemovars with 1:1 ratios
Sweet and Sour Widow
Sweet and Sour Widow is a CBD enriched WhiteWidow chemovar. Beginners can start with this strain because it provides a good medicinal mix without an overwhelming high sensation. It’s an appetite stimulant, has analgesic properties, and gives users mild feelings of euphoria and relaxation.
This chemovar can be a 1:1 or 5:1 ratio and is considered one of the more balanced CBD mix strains. It has a sweet earth and citrus flavor profile. Canna-Tsu provides effective relief for those suffering from epilepsy, nausea, Bipolar disorder, inflammation,and spasms. Some say that it’s a chemovar associated with the inhibition of cancer cells. Its known for its rapid results and feelings of relaxation.
Pennywise is an even 1:1 ratio that provides the moderate high of THC while exhibiting enhanced therapeutic benefits because of the even ration of THC and CBD. It’s a crossbreed of Harlequin and Jack the Ripper. This chemovar is an excellent choice for patients suffering from seizures. It’s also used to treat arthritis, cancer symptoms, PTSD, and anxiety. The high is mild with minor euphoric feelings.
- Massi, P., et al, “Cannabidiol as potential anticancer drug”, Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2013, 75(2): 303-12
- (2017, May 13). Should You Be Smoking 1:1 Cannabis Strains? Retrieved from https://herb.co/marijuana/news/1-1-cannabis-strains/
- CBD:THC Ratios: Maximizing Your Medicine. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://apothecarium.com/blog/nevada/2018/1/26/cbdthc-ratios-maximizing-your-medicine
- Massi, P., Solinas, M., Cinquina, V., &Parolaro, D. (2013, February). Cannabidiol as potential anticancer drug. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22506672
- CBD Sweet and Sour Widow. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://cbdcrew.org/varieties/cbd-sweet-and-sour-widow/
- Posted March 30, 2018, 4:53 a.m., Ninimarley87 7 reviews – Posted Sept. 7, 2017, 4:27 a.m., Darthfather427 14 reviews – Posted Dec. 30, 2016, 12:25 p.m., Posted March 18, 2016, 8:51 a.m., Melissa1198 – Posted Dec. 12, 2015, 10:39 a.m., Posted Oct. 28, 2015, 1:27 p.m., &DangerBunnie – Posted Dec. 15, 2014, 7:33 p.m. (n.d.). Canna-Tsu | Marijuana Strain Reviews. Retrieved from https://www.allbud.com/marijuana-strains/hybrid/canna-tsu
- TheGidge – Posted Sept. 28, 2017, 9:14 p.m., Posted Jan. 9, 2017, 6:17 p.m., Posted Nov. 10, 2016, 6:48 p.m., Posted Sept. 13, 2016, 6:52 a.m., Posted Sept. 11, 2016, 12:02 p.m., Messex – Posted Sept. 9, 2016, 5:02 p.m., . . . Posted Jan. 1, 2016, 1:54 a.m. (n.d.). Pennywise | Marijuana Strain Reviews. Retrieved from https://www.allbud.com/marijuana-strains/indica-dominant-hybrid/pennywise