Research on CBD has shown that it may treat mental health conditions such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorders, and obsessive compulsive disorder. So with all of these potential benefits, different people from athletes to medical patients have been using cannabidiol (CBD) in their daily routines. One group that has been finding benefits using CBD is military and war veterans.
What Is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder?
PTSD is a condition that develops as a result from experiencing or witnessing an emotionally difficult event that can cause flashbacks, nightmares, severe anxiety, and uncontrollable thoughts. PTSD affects up to 30% of American veterans who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, the suicide rate for veterans is 20%, which is four times higher than the general population.
Veterans with PTSD have a very difficult time adjusting to regular life and can even end up on the streets addicted to opioids that are used to treat chronic pain. In fact, according to the Veteran’s Assocation, 68,000 veterans have opioid use disorder.
Can CBD Help with PTSD?
Since becoming legal in the United States, hemp-based CBD has become a popular alternative treatment for many conditions. Studies on CBD have shown benefits in reducing pain and inflammation. Pre-clinical studies have also indicated that CBD may be effective in alleviating anxiety caused from traumatic events.
Research also has shown that CBD oil may have a positive effect on PTSD symptoms. A retrospective case series found that oral CBD reduced PTSD symptom severity in addition to routine psychiatric care.
Veterans that suffer from PTSD may benefit from CBD because it helps relieve anxiety. CBD may also help veterans manage other symptoms, such as sleep problems. It is possible that the effects of CBD on the brain’s memory system can also reduce traumatic memory recall. Therefore, CBD may help manage many PTSD symptoms.
CBD may even be beneficial for current and active members in the military. However, additional evidence is required to better understand possible benefits of CBD on PTSD. It is likely that CBD may be most helpful in alleviating pain and anxiety which both active members of the military and veterans could certainly benefit.
Thrive Flower CBD is a CBD company based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They focus on crafting high quality CBD products with natural ingredients and 100% transparency. Each Thrive Flower CBD product is 3rd-party lab tested by the best cannabis testing labs in the country. They take pride in creating high quality CBD products so they are trustworthy and highly effective for their beloved customers.
- Reisman M. PTSD treatment for veterans: What’s working, what’s new, and what’s next. PT. 2016;41(10):632-634.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017. Pain management and the opioid epidemic: Balancing societal and individual benefits and risks of prescription opioid use. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Xiong W, et al. Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain by targeting α3 glycine receptors. J Exp Med. 2012;209(6):1121-1134.
- Blessing EM, et al. Cannabidiol as a potential treatment for anxiety disorders. Neurotherapeutics. 2015;12(4):825-836.
- Elms L, et al. Cannabidiol in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder: A case series. J Altern Complement Med. 2019;25(4):392-397.
- Bitencourt RM & Takahashi RN. Cannabidiol as a therapeutic alternative for post-traumatic stress disorder: From bench research to confirmation in human trials. Front Neurosci. 2018;12(502):1-10.